Monday, February 21, 2011

Bring out the Gimp

Life is like a taxi. The meter just keeps a-ticking whether you are getting somewhere or just standing still.
The time has arrived when I am beginning to post tutorials on a Google site that I have.  I will post updates as new items are added but for the first posting I have created 8 tutorials for using the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) software.  For those of you who don't know this software think Photoshop, but free!  This is a small free open source program that runs on most computers without issue.  I encourage you to download the software, look over the tutorials, (by the way there are hundreds more on YouTube and all over the internet) and begin creating havoc for your friends and family by turning those old boring photos into incriminating evidence.  Imagine your octogenarian uncle flexing his muscles on Muscle Beach in Venice or your sister walking arm and arm with George Clooney.  If you can imagine it, with enough practice you can do it with GIMP.
Your choice, a beach with strangers or all to yourself.......as far as anyone has to know.  

The practical application for educators is that this software will allow for the creation of slides, graphics, images or other components of any presentation that might need graphic editing.  If there is a picture that represents a concept you want to teach but the image is too dark or there are other elements you wish were or were not in the picture.  No problem!  With a little practice this can become a tool that can help you create eye popping instruction.
Follow the link below to the basic tutorials

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to review your tutorials. I have installed and tried to use Gimp several times with no success. I am also trying to encourage some of our Mac users to try this as an alternative to Photo Shop. I will be sharing your blog with the art and video productions teacher in my district.
    Your initial pic when we first got started did deter me from your blog. But after your presentation the other day I ventured back. GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete