Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Build a better mouse trap and the world may never know about it.


A mouse trap placed on top of your alarm clock will prevent you from rolling over and going back to sleep
Back some months ago when this blog first began, I had no illusions about having information so important that the world would beat a path to my "digital" door.  Funny thing happened on the way to here though, I began to enjoy it and realize that there was information I could share that would be a resource to other digital media teachers and beneficial to novice media producers wanting to get started.  This left one piece of the puzzle, how do I get the world to take notice?
In the class that I am taking that was the genesis of this blog, we shared methods to drive people to our blogs.  Truly, some of the most simple and possible effective ones, I hadn't considered.  After some reflection I've chosen a couple of methods I think will help me.  I've added my blog address to my email.  I make so many contacts that I think this would have been very beneficial had I done it earlier.  I believe this exposure will pay dividends down the road.  I've also posted the blog address with a brief description on Classroom 2.0 and got almost instant results.  This is a forum where teachers can find other teachers from all over the country and the world for that fact in the same or similar content areas.  Within 1 hour of posting at Classroom 2.0 I had received two replies and both we excited to see the blog......wonderful.
This process has been a truly educational experience for me in several ways.  First it's gotten me out of my digital rut.  I've been using many high end video production software's for some time and just resisted the unknown...i.e. Twitter, blogs and Ning's...O My!  (that was an earlier entry).  Its also helped me see the power of connection.  In my presentation to the class, I said that this had shown me that we are smarter than I.  Well I may have come late to the dance, but I'm going to use these new tools to help build my content knowledge, professional community and resource base.  This can only help my students to see a world of content that is much larger than it would have been without this experience. As Martha Stewart says, "It's a good thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment